Coventry Chinese School is a supplementary school that provides Chinese language (Mandarin) courses to children from the age of 4 to 18. We are a non-profit making organisation that was established in Coventry since the 1970s, founded by the first generation of Chinese workers that have settled in the city with their families. Hence, our School have served the younger generations of Chinese over the last four decades and have in recent years extended our service to teach pupils of mixed Chinese and non-Chinese backgrounds.
The School receives support from the Ethnic Minority Achievement Service (formerly Minority Group Support Services) of Coventry City Council, the National Resource Centre for Supplementary Education and other local businesses. In 2010, Coventry Chinese School was accredited the Bronze Award in the Quality Framework for Supplementary Schools by the National Resource Centre for Supplementary Education.
We provide courses for children in Mandarin Chinese. Our courses follow the national curriculum and provide our pupils an opportunity to gain additional GCSE and A Level qualification in the Chinese language. The School also provides an opportunity for the children to interact with other children who are also keen to learn and develop new linguistic skills, and to develop new friendships.
Our strength is to development your interest in developing new linguistic skills.
What We Do
- Chinese language (Mandarin) classes for children from aged 4 to 18.
- Our courses follow the national curriculum from Year 1 to Year 10 (GCSE), plus A-level classes (subject to availability).
- Classes are taught by dedicated native Mandarin teachers on a voluntary basis, with the adaptation of English in classes for non-native speakers to enhance their understanding of the lessons taught.
- All teachers and admin staff have full DBS (CRB) clearance.
- Mandarin Classes available from Year 1 to GCSE and A-Level (subject to availability). Cantonese Class available at GCSE level only.
- We run separate classes for native and non-native speakers in the early stage from Year 1 to Year 5. Lessons are taught using some English for the non-native Mandarin classes, so that the pupils can get a better understanding of the lessons.
- Lesson time from 1:00pm to 3:00pm during school terms, with a total of 35 weeks of attendance in each academic year.
- The 2017-18 annual tuition fee remained at the same level as the previous year. For Year 1 to Year 9 classes annual tuition fee is £180 per annum per pupil, and we also offer discounted fee for siblings at £160 per annum per pupil.
- Tuition fee for the GCSE and A Level classes is set at £200 per annum per pupil.
- All tuition fees inclusive of books.
- Pupils must bring their own bags to carry the books and basic stationery items such as pencil, eraser, sharpener, pens, coloured pencils etc.
- Pupils will be given a 10 minute break during lessons and are allowed to bring a light snack such as a piece of fruit and drink. Please avoid bringing crispy snacks or excessive amount of snacks for consumption.
- School Reports are issued at the end of each semester to monitor progress.
- Prize Giving Ceremony will be held at the end of each academic year to present awards for outstanding achievement and improvement.