Chinese (Mandarin) for Adults – Beginners (HSK Level 1)
Our Chinese for Adults class caters for anyone between the age of 18 – 99 who knows no or little Chinese, and wish to develop all four skills, i.e. reading, writing, speaking and listening (with a focus on speaking).
You are required to commit to 2 hours of face-to-face small group teaching per week on Sundays over a period of 24 weeks in academic year 18/19 (estimated class size: 5-10 students).
You will also be expected to commit to 4-6 hours for self-study each week to ensure you can follow the pace of the course.
Start date: 4 November 2018, 1-3pm
Semester 1: 4 November 2018 – 10 February 2019
Semester 2: 3 March 2019 – 16 June 2019
Start date: 4 November 2018, 1-3pmFees: £180 (including books and materials)
Course description: This course is suitable for beginners keen to develop basic conversational skills in Chinese and understand basic Chinese characters. While we will be focusing on speaking and listening skills, the teacher will also help you understand the basic structure of Chinese characters, the 4 tones, and to write and recognise basic Chinese characters. The course covers the following topics:
- Greetings, introductions;
- nationalities; professions;
- enquiring about the date; age and birthday;
- saying what you do and when;
- talking about likes and dislikes; what one should and shouldn’t do; favourites;
- ordering simple food and drink;
- talking about the weather and seasons;
- making comparisons and giving suggestions;
- talking about going and coming somewhere to do something; and methods of transport.
By the end of this course, students should be able to attempt the HSK 1 Exam or the Common European Framework of References for Languages (CEFRL) A1.
- Grasp 210 Chinese characters, 250 basic vocabulary elements and 30 basic grammatical structures
- Conduct basic conversations in Chinese e.g. greetings, introductions, enquiries (time / restaurant / weather / direction)
- Textbook: Chinese in Steps Volume.1 (Cypress Book Co. 2011).