Coventry Chinese School is a supplementary school that provides Chinese language (Mandarin) courses to children from the age of 4 to 18. We are a non-profit making organisation that was established in Coventry since the 1970s, founded by the first generation of Chinese workers that have settled in the city with their families. Hence, our School have served the younger generations of Chinese over the last four decades and has in recent years extended our service to teach pupils of mixed Chinese and non-Chinese backgrounds.
The School receives support from the Ethnic Minority Achievement Service (formerly Minority Group Support Services) of Coventry City Council, the National Resource Centre for Supplementary Education and other local businesses. In 2010, Coventry Chinese School was accredited with the Bronze Award in the Quality Framework for Supplementary Schools by the National Resource Centre for Supplementary Education.
We provide courses for children in Mandarin Chinese. Our courses follow the national curriculum and provide our pupils with an opportunity to gain additional GCSE and A Level qualifications in the Chinese language. The School also provides an opportunity for the children to interact with other children keen to learn and develop new linguistic skills and friendships.
Our strength is to develop your interest in developing new linguistic skills.
What We Do
- Chinese language (Mandarin) classes for children from aged 4 to 18.
- Our courses follow the national curriculum from Year 1 to Year 10 (GCSE), plus A-level classes (subject to availability).
- Classes are taught by dedicated native Mandarin teachers on a voluntary basis, with the adaptation of English in classes for non-native speakers to enhance their understanding of the lessons taught.
- All teachers and admin staff have full DBS (CRB) clearance.
- Mandarin Classes are available from Year 1 to GCSE and A-Level (subject to availability).
- We run separate classes for native and non-native Mandarin speakers from Year 1 to Year 8. Lessons are taught using some English for the non-native classes so that the pupils can get a better understanding.
- Lesson time from 1:00pm to 3:00pm during school terms, with a total of 34 weeks of attendance in each academic year ending with the Awards Ceremony.
- Annual tuition fees and key information for parents can be found here
- Pupils must bring their own bags to carry the books and basic stationery items such as pencil, eraser, sharpener, pens, coloured pencils etc.
- Pupils are allowed to bring a bottle of water for consumption during break time, but no food or other drinks will be allowed during lessons or break time.
- Reports are issued at the end of each semester to monitor pupils’ academic progress.
- Awards Ceremony will be held at the end of each academic year to present awards for outstanding achievement and improvement.